Tuesday, August 21, 2012

First Birthdays

It seems like everywhere I turn, babies are being born or are approaching their first birthdays. It got me to thinking about first birthdays in my family...

Our family has a first birthday tradition that has survived several generations. The way it works, in front of the birthday child you set a shot glass, a bible and a silver dollar. Whichever object the child selects, in theory, is supposed to predict the type of life they will live.

If the shot glass is selected, their life will be filled with drink and merriment. Yours truly selected the shot glass...


In testing the theory, would I consider my life to be filled with drink and merriment...um, let me have another sip of my wine while I think about that {just kidding}.

If the silver dollar is selected, their life will be filled with great wealth. Let's hope this theory holds true because for Grace's first birthday she grabbed onto the silver dollar and wouldn't let go.


If the bible is selected, they will life a virtuous life. Sadly, it appears that no one in my family will be living a virtuous life.

Perhaps you've heard of this tradition {I know I can't be alone} or maybe you have your own unique traditions. In either case, I'd love to be inspired by your birthday traditions, so feel free to share them.

Cheers {get it, another drink and merriment joke}!

14 comments:

  1. what a fun tradition! Our only tradition seems to be giving the child their cake and letting them dig into it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a fancy shot glass you were drawn to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this! But I'm cracking up and LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the cutest thing I've ever heard of. And I had no idea you were drunk all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this - AND I can't believe the coincidence of this! Just yesterday (truly!!!) I was reading in a novel called 'The Namesake' about an Indian tradition where they lay a dollar note, a small pile of soil and a pen on a table before a 6 month old. The theory being the same, but the destiny slightly different (wealthy, landowner, or scholar)... so thrilled to see you kept the custom going - what a great story to tell Grace when she's older! ... and like Thrifty Crafty Girl; I'm amazed how well you blog when you're on the plonk! LOL! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 1st Birthday! I've never hear of this but it's such a great idea! We just celebrated my niece's birthday with a smash cake - and after doing that three times myself - it never gets old to watch :) Gotta love those sugar shakes! Wishing you many many more years of creative passion (and wine) flowing through your veins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trust you to have a tradition like this :-). It is hilarious! The bible might have more chance to be picked if it is bound in some sparkly paper...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pictures of you and Grace! The first I heard of this tradition was when friends of ours adopted a child from Korea. The first birthday is a very big deal there and one of the tradtions is something similar, although I can't remember the three objects. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will admit I had never heard of this, but think it's quite a hoot! Not sure which one I would have gravitated to...I'd like to think of myself as being a virtuous soul, but that shiny silver dollar would more than likely have caught my eye. Enjoy your day:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the morning laugh! (again) I have never heard of this tradition, but it's a good one! My sister-in-law always takes a picture of her kids with someone holding the lit birthday cake over the childs head. I don't get it, but it's their tradition! I like yours better! Cute pic of you reaching for a shot glass by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this Amy. I think I will start it now with my grandkids so my kids can carry it on. But might have to start with the second birthday, maybe the bible will have a better chance then. I think I will use a pocket size one.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a cute tradition! I have read about a similar tradition, but it was for one of the Asian countries... don't recall which one. We didn't have any cool traditions like that. Our tradition was to have a small party with just the family (mom, dad, siblings): decorate with balloons, sometimes streamers, a cake (almost always yellow cake with strawberry filling), and gifts. Oh and of course the Happy Bday song. Oh wait, I think that's what most families do;P Traditions are fun... thanks for sharing your families fun tradition! Hmm.. maybe I'll start my own;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alright now Amy, with a shot glass like that in front of you, how could you possibly resist? I mean, it's so shiny!! Any kid in their right mind would have picked it...(hiccup) good job(hiccup) I like it too (hiccup)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun tradition! I love that you picked the shot glass! :)

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...