Monday, November 14, 2011

Advent Calendar: Part 4

Hopefully you've enjoyed creating the squares for your advent calendar and are now ready to finish it up.

Decide on the background you want for your calendar. I stuck with a Christmas tree {much like the Pottery Barn for Kids version-except bigger} for my advent calendar.


Another option could be as simple as Land Of Nod's Christmas Countdown Calendar.


Or Land of Nod's Here Comes Santa Claus Calendar.


The square designs, like Land of Nod's, won't take up as much space as the Christmas tree design.

Which ever design you select, grab more felt for the background. For this, you'll want to buy felt off of a bolt. A yard of felt, from a bolt, is approximately 54 inches wide by 36 inches long. I used a double layer of felt for my design. When you get the amount of felt you think you might need, lay your squares out on top of it to determine roughly how and where they will be placed. Then using a piece of chalk draw the shape of your design out around where your squares will be placed.


Chalk works really well because it can be easily wiped off. If you don't like the design you drew, wipe the chalk off and redraw it. Don't forget, I used a double layer, so you can use the design you drew with chalk as a template for cutting out the second layer.


When you have your background cut out, you can start to attach your squares. Using only the front {or one piece} of your felt background design, with a needle and thread, attach each of square using a whip stitch. Yes...I admit, this is time consuming. I was terrified of the sewing machine when I started this project, if you are up for it, you could always sew the squares on. You'll only need to sew down 3 of the sides, leaving the top open for filling with goodies.


When all 25 of your squares are sewn into place, you can attach the front piece of your design {be it the tree or a simple square} to the back piece of your design. Again, though time consuming, I used a whip stitch to sew the front to the back. I whip stitched around the entire Christmas tree, again, you may want to make life easier and sew your design together.


If you use the Christmas tree design, when you get the bottom of the tree, you'll want to sew a trunk into the tree. I used brown felt to create the tree trunk and stuffed it with a little bit of fiberfill.


Every Christmas tree needs a star. The star was made using yellow felt, stuffed with a little bit of fiberfill. Again, using a whip stitch to sew it shut. I attached the star, with a few securing stitches, after my Christmas tree was sew together.


On the back of your advent calendar, add a loop, made of ribbon, so you can hang up your advent calendar and admire.


I used stick on embroidery numbers to number each square/pocket...


but that option can get expensive. You'll need 41 numbers to complete your calendar. If you have the patience and want to save some money, get some peel and stick felt sheets {which is under $2}. Draw the numbers needed on the felt sheets, cut them out {I warned you, this option would require patience and, of course, some cutting skills}, peel them and then stick them into place.

I hope you've been inspired to create your own advent calendar. Get the kids involved, get creative and I guarantee, every year you take your advent calendar out, it will bring a smile to your face.

The other parts to this tutorial can be found here:
Advent Calender Part 1 
Advent Calender Part 2
Advent Calender Part 3

3 comments:

  1. Yay! This is exactly what I was looking for! I saw this at the store and knew I could make it for less. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to hear you hope to make your own advent calendar. Thank you for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what did the dimensions of the Christmas tree end up being?

    ReplyDelete

I am head over heels you took the time to leave me a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...